Thursday 28 July 2011

Thing 6 online networks

Reasons given to network online:
Becoming better known
Becoming better connected
Becoming better equipped
1. is linked to Thing 6, and I have already decided that I don't have a brand. Happy to meet other Information Professionals, in person or online but don't feel the need to shout about it.
2. Looking at the ways I am already connected: JISC mailing lists; attending professional events and conferences; membership of CILIP, UC&R and CILIP communities plus sharing thoughts and ideas with colleagues at Glamorgan I think makes me well connected already.
3. This is a consequence of being connected, and taking part in 23 things has had benefits already. My IGoogle page is getting better all the time as I add to it and tweak it. I can see from this that I don't want to receive so many feeds or tweets that I start to ignore them.
Information has to be manageable and relevant, and I have to fit a lot of work in to my working day as well!
So to summarise, joining online communities to suit the individual is fine, try something, if it doesn't work don't worry about it. LinkedIn is not for me, Facebook is purely personal, and I have looked at LISNPN and decided against it. This Thing has made me think about it all, which is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment